The ground transportation system consists of buses, trams and trolleybuses operated by the public service company, RATB. The buses, trams and trolleybuses runs everyday from 04.30 to 23.00 and after this hour they are replaced by night buses that runs once every hour (see RATB website for details).
There are several types of tickets (actually they are magnetic cards) you can use when you travel using this system but in this article we will focus on the magnetic card you can use as a tourist: Cardul Multiplu (Multiplu Card).
Multiplu Card is intended to be used by casual travellers, it can be purchased from any RATB kiosk, is not nominal, is transferable (several persons can share the same card if you have enough trips on it), is not rechargeable and it can't be used on the Metro System. When you buy this card you have 2 options:
- 2 - 10 trips. For urban lines each trip costs 1.3 lei and for the express buses (lines 780 and 783 from Henri Coanda International Airport to Bucharest city center or Gara de Nord Train Station) each trip costs 3.5 lei. If you travelled from the airport to the city center then you are already familiar with this type of card. This type can be shared with your friends.
- Daily Pass. The price is 8 lei and you can use it all day long in any bus, tram or trolley. However, you can't use it for express buses (line 780 and 783). This type can't be shared with your friends.
Everytime you buy this card there is an extra price for the card itself: 1.6 lei.
- The cards cannot be purchased from the driver, they can only be purchased from the RATB kiosk in the bus stations (where available). If you need to make a few trips would be better to buy a card with several trips, because you will not find ticket kiosks in all RATB stations.
- To validate your trip after you get in the vehicle, look for a small orange box with an LCD screen on it. Touch the indicated area on the box with your magnetic card and you will hear a short beep indicating your trip was validated. If you forget to validate your trip, you can be fined with 50 lei.
- Validate the trip for each of your friends using the same procedure if you share a card topped with trips. Daily Pass cannot be shared.
There are some other options but these are rather intended for local people or for tourist staying a lot longer in Bucharest. The card suitable for these is called "ACTIV" and you can choose between:
- pass for 1 day (price 8 lei), 7 days (price 17 RON), 15 days (price 25 RON).
- electronic wallet. The prepaid amount can be used for any trip in the ground transportation system.
If you are looking for information about the bus transfer from the airport to Bucharest please visit this page: Bus transfer from airport to Bucharest
For more information about the routes or maps you can visit www.ratb.ro
(The information on this page is valid as of 01 Jan 2015)