Stavropoleos Church, located in the Old Center of Bucharest, just behind the National Museum of Romanian History, is a very old and beautiful church and a must see attraction. The church, together with other buildings that formed a monastery, was built in 1724 by a greek monk Ioanichie Stratonikeas, in the courtyard of his inn.
It was a common practice those times to have a church in the courtyard of an inn because these churches were economically sustained by the inn.
At the end of 19th century, the inn and the other buildings of the monastery were demolished. The church was saved but many earthquakes during the years weakened the structure of the church making the dome to collapse.
Thankfully, at the beginning of the 20th century the dome paintings were restored. Also, over the years there were conducted works of restoration that made this church to be a beautiful landmark that worth your visit.
The entrance is free and because this is a worship place, please remember to dress conservatively.